Tuesday, April 22, 2014

Empathy and Sympathy

Kindness.

It's a virtue.

It's considered to be an important character trait.

It's thrown around constantly by everyone.

"Oh, she's so nice."

I'd like to think I am a kind person. (I am Canadian after all). Yet, sometimes it is so much easier to be mean. Often, I find the people I admire have the defining characteristic of being strong, not kind. Is strength more important than being kindness? In order to be strong and have some substance, there are times where you have to be mean. But is that really being mean? Is kindness a weakness? Is compassion necessary? What makes a person truly kind? Is what they do or how they feel inside?

"But it's not who you are underneath, it's what you do that defines you."- Rachel Dawes, Batman Begins, 2005

Was she right? What does define you? What make you a good person and what makes you evil?
My psychology piece for the day...



-Hamna

No comments:

Post a Comment